Sunday, October 23, 2011

Eye Opening Experience

Yesterday I went to the Tuol Sleng S.21- Genocide Museum and the killing fields.

Tuol Sleng was designed for detention, interrogation, inhuman torture and killing after confessions.

The killing Fields is where people were taken to be killed however people were unaware of this fact as they were being transported.

I learned so much about the horrific experiences this beautiful country has been through. The short version is that the Khmer Rouge took over the country by marching into Phnom Peng on April 17 , 1975 and were in power from 1975-1979. During there time in power the people were worked until they collapsed and died of exhaustion, from disease or starvation, while others were detained and tortured and then later killed. Over four years, the Khmer Rouge killed more than 1.7 million people through work, starvation and torture. Here are a few pictures from my day. Today I saw where people were beaten, locked up and then later killed. If you are interested in the history related to this please do some reading, I am sure there is lots of info online.  I feel like I was totally naive to have had such a limited knowledge related to this topic before I came here.



This picture stood out for me and was heartbreaking. This is a picture of a little girl who as given a number, then tortured and killed.


Every person in Tuol Sleng was numbered and had their picture taken. The Khmer Rouge had very detailed documentation of their horrific acts.


This is the building used to house the detainees when they were not being tortured. Most people spent many months here before they were taken to be killed. It estimated that 17,000 Cambodians were imprisoned here. 


Jail like cells where people were kept with very limited food or water.


This is a picture of the 7 survivors of the Tuol Sleng. I think currently 2 are still alive. 


This is the killing tree that was used as a hard surface to break peoples skulls. This included women and children. I know I am being graphic but this was truly one of the saddest things I have ever seen.



Bones found in the killing fields.


Clothing continues to come to the surface throughout the killing fields. This was on the ground as I walked by. Someone came to this field with these clothes and never left.


                                     
                          One of many mass graves within the killing fields.

I know that this post was really sad and graphic but I wanted to open your eyes to things most people have limited knowledge about. I have more graphic pictures but decided against putting them online. I can admit that I knew almost nothing about this, but I am glad I have opened my eyes to this truly horrible experience of this country. The court case against the high officials of the Khmer Rouge for their acts continues to be in progress right now. I am sure as my trip continues I will have experiences that will open my eyes to events and experiences that will make me think about how lucky I truly am to have my current life.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Very moving. I had no idea this had happened. This really puts things in perspective and makes me so thankful that i have led such a happy, safe and privledged life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really need to read "when broken glass floats" It is an amazing account of the tragedy in Cambodia. In the end I guess it reminds us to be thankful of all we have

    ReplyDelete