Thursday, October 20, 2011

Joy Day Care

I began my volunteer placement at Joy Day Care today. This day care was created to serve children that currently live within the old Phnom Pehn dump. Families scavenge through the dump to find mental and recyclables to earn money usually only 1 dollar a day. Before this day care children were left alone for the day while the parents were scavenging or they played in the dump along side their parents. I have attached a link that speaks more about the day care. It is not exactly as it is depicted on the video, but it gives you an idea. As you may have guessed the program is not as structured as the video makes it sound.

http://www.transformasia.us/home/other_ministries/day_care

I spent the day with a group of children 3-4 years old today. The day began with bathing the children, a Khmer lesson, a large meal, nap and a English lesson. I have decided I need to learn the words in Khmer  for no hitting and share. It was rough today not knowing how to say these, as this is what most children are trying to learn at this age. Before I began I did not know this was a Christian organization. I was asked about 10 times today by the staff if I was Christian. The children know many Christian songs and are very excited to show me. They even wanted to me say grace in English before eating today.  I am sure none of you will be surprised when I tell you I taught them a song today and look forward to teaching them more English songs. They love to sing. The day care is about 20 minutes away from their homes. I would have to say the most eye opening part of my day was taking the children home. I have never seen poverty as I did today, but I also saw such joy in the children's faces upon returning home. Seeing families living in small shacks among piles of garage is something I will never forget. I will be going back tomorrow but I am sure that this sight will never become normal for me.

I have many other random stories from my adventures but those will have to wait for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    So proud of the work you are doing! Keep up the good work and give the little ones lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration Jess! I am thinking of you regularly and missing you of course. You are the change you wish to see in the world!

    ReplyDelete