Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Host Family = Great Decision

It was a bit lonely at first living with a host family, because everyone else I know is together at the guest house. However things are much better now. In the home a is father and mother, 3 daughters (ages 20-25) and a grandmother. The girls speak very good English, however the adults do not speak English. I love talking with the girls, but I wish I could talk to the adults. I feel somewhat rude, because the only words I say to them are simple word that I have learned like please, thank you, and hello. I have learned so much for the girls about culture, language and so much more. They say they are learning from me too, especially being able to practice their English. I have been trying (this is a key word) to help them with their homework since all of them are taking university classes in English. One of the girls is learning about the American Constitution. As we all know my knowledge of this is very limited. All I can say is that is was a very interesting conversation, and I am not sure I was much help to her.

I have attached a few pictures outside of the home but I will add more later. There are some distinct parts of the home I want to take pictures of but I have not had a chance to do this. There are also some pictures of a fun dinner out with the girls and their cousin.





Great dinner out! This soup was amazing, it had everything in it. The only thing I did not like was the octopus (too chewy). I even ate corn on the cob off of a chopstick. This is what they told me to do it was not my idea.


This is the front on the home I am staying in. This is what the average home looks like with a gated garage and the living space behind the garage.





These are pictures from the street I am living on. Street 390, it is very important I know this since getting lost seems to be occurring quite often lately.

Tonight I made a western dinner as they would call it. I had limited options when I went to the store so the final product was spaghetti, bread and homemade apple sauce. I know this is a random combo but I did not have a lot to work with. One of the daughters in the house helped me cook. She was so excited to learn to cook pasta, and can't wait to make it on her own. The parents in the house even liked it, I was a bit worried since rice and meat is the regular meal in the home.They liked it so much they had multiple  neighbors come over to try it. It was a very interesting experience. Something that for me appears so simple and easy was so exciting for them.  The girls in the house have had spaghetti in a restaurant, but had not idea how to make it. I think spaghetti may become a regular meal around their house after I leave. So after this expereince the girls want to learn how to cook more new foods. The next task is a cake, however this is going to be difficult as their ovens are very different here and they don't have cake pans. I will let you all know how it goes.

I will try to post some pictures from my work at the day care soon!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Good luck with the cake! You should try for oatmeal cake if they have the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loove the pics Jess!! Keep learning and enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete