Friday, November 25, 2011

Adventures in Cambodia!!

So I wrote this blog weeks ago but I have not had a chance to post it. I am super behind in my blogging and will try to update you on my adventures in Laos and Thailand soon. I am headed to Africa on Tuesday night so I have not idea when this going to happen. I will try to write them soon even if I don't have time to post them so I don't forget anything.  I guess I am just too busy having fun, but I think that is a good excuse! I wanted to post for pictures from my Cambodian adventures but the Internet is making me insane!!!! The ones I really wanted to post are not here. I have seen some amazing temples. I will put these in a future post.

Random things I have seen or experienced in Cambodia.

1. I have spent a significant amount of time in a tuk tuk. Many of you have asked for a picture so check out the one below. This is my general mode of transportation while in Cambodia.



2. I did something I said I would never do. I rode on a moto with out a helmet. Don't worry this will not be happening again. You all know how crazy I am about the fact that you don't have to wear a helmet in Ohio. It was a one time experience. I can now say I have done it. I can say it was truly an experience. The part that stinks is that is is so much cheaper. The driving here is crazy check a picture of a street below.

3. The amount of random animals I have seen on the side of the road or being cooked on a spit is unreal. Recently turned around in my tuk tuk and a cow was less that 1 ft from me, it came out of no where.

4. Today I was eating fried fish which was great and then I looked down and realized I was eating the head. It still had stuff in it's mouth. Yuck!!

5. You are asked to buy things or if you want a tuk tuk constantly. My favorite words are becoming Tee Aw Kohn (no thank you). We were hassled endlessly at the beach this weekend to buy things. I got sucked in a few times but my bartering skills are really improving.

6. No one walks here. The girls I am living with think I am crazy that I walked short distances. They say that Cambodians are lazy, not sure if this is true but they sure hate walking. This is why I am constantly pestered to get a tuk tuk. Let a woman walk if she wants to!!!! The girls said I have probably walked more in the time I have been here around the city than they ever have and they have lived their their entire life.

7. People can seriously carry anything and do anything while on a moto or a bike. I saw a man driving a moto carrying a car door. Now that is some serious balance. I have also seen an entire family on a moto including three kids, mom, dad and the dog. Yesterday I saw a woman on the back of a moto holding up an IV bag. Now that is seriously traveling medical treatment.

8. I have increased my Khmer knowledge and have a few short phrases and can count to 10. This does not make talking with a parents in the home any easier but is does make me feel a more comfortable out in the city.

So let me tell you the crazy and amazing things I have eaten in Cambodia!

  • Fried Cricket
  • Baby Duck Fetus- it is very popular here ( I just ate a small bite...not good). Check out the picture below.

    Can you see the feathers?
    Putting on my game face even though it was gross
  • Banana Chips (this might not been a feat for most but most of you know how much I hate bananas)
  • I ordered grilled fish and got the whole fish (eyes and head included). Check out the picture below.

  • Soy bean curd milk that was thick, very sweet and luke warm (You all know I hate milk so it was a serious task to get this down)
  • Too many fruits to remember but I really like Cambodian Oranges, Dragon Fruit and the pineapple and mango are amazing here!! They often dip their fruit in a salty chilly powered. It was an interesting flavor but not an idea I will be bringing home.
  • An entire fried chicken
  • Amazing Lettuce Wraps- much better than PF Changs
  • The most amazing waffle made with coconut and rice flour.
  • Fantastic Khmer soups
  • Fresh Coconut. I really like the actual coconut but not the coconut milk.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment