Monday, February 13, 2012

Culture Shock

Arriving in Dubai after an overnight flight from Ghana via Amsterdam and Paris (long story) was a major culture shock. The lights and buildings in Dubai were a stark difference from dirt roads with women selling things from off of their heads. I love that I am having the opportunity to experience so many different cultures and ways of life during this trip. While I was in Africa I had many things that I missed like a hot shower but by the time I arrived in Dubai I almost felt guilty as a result of all of the conveniences that I had. I think the important thing is that I realized how truly privileged my life is. I hope I can use what I have learned in the future and never take things for granted. I will never take having a shower for granted again. It is kind of funny, in Ghana where I needed to shower everyday because I was so dirty I showered very rarely and in Dubai were I was not even dirty I showered everyday. I know we follow the customs we are accustom to but I just found it very interesting and funny. Don’t worry I am going to continue to shower but I will continue to turn off the water when I am not really using it. 
I am so lucky to have friends who live all over the world. My opportunities in life have exponentially increased as a result of these amazing friends. I am so thankful for the opportunity Kellee and Phil gave me to see Dubai. If I could only use a few word to describe Dubai I would say "over the top". I have never seen so many incredibly large and elaborate buildings in my life. I have never been very interested in architecture but some of the buildings were amazing.  I have also learned that Dubai is all about being bigger and better. I can't even name the number of genius book of world records which are in Dubai.
Kellee had me off and running in the first few days I was there.
Ski slope inside of the Mall of the Emirates
We spent a fun afternoon in Safa park which has great views of both downtown Dubai and the Burj Khalifa. I was amazed by the beautiful scenery throughout the park and spending time with Julia and Molly only added to the great day.
Amazing skyline shot from the park
 
As you can see everything is small in
comparison to the Burj Khalifa

Waterway through the park

Waterfall shot




Julia loving the swings


Molly chill'n out


A little gem just outside the city center

Kellee and Phil live only 1.5 miles from the beach, I wish this was true for me too. I love the beach! Thanks Kellee for the encouragement to run there with you. I hope I can continue to work on my endurance as my travels continue. Here are some of the views from this beach.
Burj al Arab

I am working on doing this shot in every beach I visit

I was impressed by the surfers skills. I need to try surfing soon!

1 comment:

  1. I heard a quote yesterday that made me think of you: "it is the journey, not the destination that is the goal" (or something like that, I'm not very good at remembering quotes hence the quote door of 288 Edinburgh!). Keep having a wonderful journey :)

    ReplyDelete