Sunday, February 5, 2012

Reflecting on my experience in Ghana

Jan.5 2012

I can’t believe I have only one day left with the kids at the orphanage. It has been such a rewarding experience but a struggle just the same. I have learned so much about providing support and services in Africa. It is such a struggle to make impactful change in a country where any change is a struggle and you are constantly working against the system and cultural norms. We have talked many times as volunteers about our struggle to make a difference. I have learned so much about the need to assess the needs before pushing new ideas. I think it is easy to come to Africa with such large ideals but it is really important to understand the work needed to make real change. We have taken a few steps forwards here but it has not been easy. I am very proud of the impact the current volunteers group made to create a system to increase structure, accountability and focus on education. This project was supported by one of the orphanages owners son’s who is well educated and is a biomedical scientist. It was so inspiring to see what hard work has allowed him to do. It just goes to show how important support from inside the culture is in creating change. I am almost positive this change would not have happened without his support.

Volunteer group and our cook. I am thankful for the opportunity
to work with them and getting to know each of them.


This swing was kind of like a death trap, all metal, but the kids loved it!


The children were dived into groups with both older group leaders and an assigned volunteer. The role of these groups was to create a system to allow tutoring to occur and to create increase accountability as a result of managing a smaller group of children. As a volunteer it is often overwhelming to help 25 kids bathe before school but having a specific group is much more manageable. The children were also more responsive to having only one person directing and motivated them rather than having to be accountable to every volunteer. I had a large number of young girls in my group so it was never dull trying to get them to bathe and brush their teeth in the morning. I cannot tell you the number of time I said you need to find your toothbrush or where are your clothes? The groups were also used as tutoring groups. I would have to say helping kids age 5-17 all at the same time is very difficult. I would have made a horrible teacher in a one room school house!!(hahaha). I really hope this increased structure is maintained because the kids appeared to be responding well to it. They were always excited for 7:00pm to come each day because this was tutoring time. This system only began at Christmas so I hope it is maintained.


Memphia learnig her ABC's



Loving the Canada stickers for their work books

Bath time was never dull

Paulina workng hard on Math


My Group

 During my last days the the orphange we also took the inative to paint the two last classrooms in the school that were not pianted. It was a fun process doing this with the kids. Thanks Mom and Dad for your donation we used some of it to buy the paint.

Before we started


Cleaning the walls with a broom before we painted.

Painting the wood was harded than it looked because portions were rotten.





Alice was a painting pro


Adjingo loved helping



Say Cheese Jack!

Andy is ready to paint!

This is right before I almost spilled an entire
bucket of paint due to my broken paint brush. 

The final product


At times my experience in Ghana was challenging and a struggle but I truly feel that this exprience has given me an opportunity to appreciate different perspectives in life and  accept that challenages can have  a positive outcome.  I am thankful for the entire experience. This expereince helped my to grow in so many ways, everything from my ability to think critically to my ability to accept my own personal limits. If I could have one wish for the kids at this orphange is it that they will know their own true potenail in life and can see a postive future for themselves away from the pain and hurt many have expereinced at such a young age. I never want to forget all of their smiling faces! I know I will never forget this expereicne and can't seem to put into words the feeling I have brought away from this expereince.


No comments:

Post a Comment