Saturday, March 31, 2012

Triple Belgian Treat

Mar. 1 2012

I am usually not a big fan of organized tours but this one was great. This may have had something to do with the fact that Megan and I and another couple were the only ones on the tour. The tour was Triple Treat and this tour was a real treat for Megan and I. It was great to get out of the city. We headed out into the Belgian country side seeing everything from castles to cows. We had a fantastic tour guide who knew pretty  much everything you wanted to know abut Belgium. I learned so much in just a day, but the sad fact is that I have forgotten much of it. The triple treat was waffles, chocolate and beer. It can't get much better than yet.

The Castle is now a public office building. I would not mind working in there.



Chapel

Super cool cuckoo- clock

The carving of the railings took 10 years and each panel is completely different



Painting in Estate- Town square in Bruges (it does look very similar to now)

Estate from the Outside





Not sure if it is any relation to the Verebek's in our family?

Bones- the water table is very high.
People have to pay to be buried and to stay buried.
You must pay for permission 5 years at a time to keep someone buried.

Incredible old barn

Lunch was great in a restaurant that brews it's own beer. This seem to be a trend throughout Belgium. The waffle was also amazing.

Sad day... way too much head!

Local beer from restaurant




Best Waffle I had in Belgium!

How does it taste?

Chocolate is everywhere in Bruges. We went to a shop to learn how chocolate is made. We learned about everything from harvesting the bean to how it is put in the molds. For me the most interesting part was learning about how the quality of Belgian chocolate is maintained and why it is distinct. I also learned what Belgian praline is, and how it is made. A Belgian praline is basically a filled chocolate. I am not going to lie I love Belgian chocolate.

One of two chocolate companies that are used to make all Belgian Chocolates.

Filling the molds

Making Pralines

Easter everywhere

So the tour ended in beer lesson and tasting. Megan and I had already done lots of beers tasting before this, but it was great to learn somethng. It was funny that he talked about how no one in Belgium does home brewing since there are over 1200 different types of beer already brewed in Belgium. I also love that every beer has it's own beer glass, unlike the US. Every beer is only served in it's own glass. Many beers were originally brewed in monasteries by monks but the number of these have decreased as their recipes have been sold to larger companies and they now brew their beer. It is interesting that many US and Canadian beers ie. Budweiser and Labatt are owned by a Belgian brewing company. Belgium kind of has control of beer across the world. They do it well so it is OK I guess.

My favourite Belgian Beer


Glass looks like a challis, as this is one of the
 beers that are still brewed in a Monastery
The last major event of the tour was a special addition just for Megan. Check out my next post to see what I am talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment