Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Developing Countries

Dec. 16 2011

I have been thinking so much about the pure luck I had in being born in North America. For the shear fact of where I was born I have so many privileges that are not available to people that are born in developing countries. This fact was shown to me when I was talking with the girls I lived with in Cambodia. I was telling them they were welcome to visit me anytime they wanted and they said that this would be unlikely. They told me to leave the country even just to visit another country they have to have a meeting at the Cambodia Consulate and also have at least $20,000 dollars in their account. This fact is very unrealistic. As a result of this conversation I felt a little bit guilty since I am able to go anywhere I want and am currently on a trip around the world. I know this exists to prevent people from entering the country and never leaving, but it just feels wrong that I have so much freedom and they have so little. I guess I should feel more lucky than guilty, but it makes me think that I have done nothing in my life to deserve the luxuries I have. Spending time with the children at the orphanage makes me think how lucky I am to have parents that were able to care for me and ensure my needs where met. It is difficult to see the limited resources the children here have medically, educationally and personally when I see in North American how many of these privileged are abused. Overall I think this trip is giving me insight into how others live and making me appreciate the life I have. I hope that my trip is making a difference for these children even if it is just knowing they are important and valued by someone. I hope I can use my experiences and my increased insight into inequalities to make a difference, even though I am not sure how yet.
I feel privileged to be volunteering with this amazing children and I am so thankful for this opportunity. I know I am going to be a better person for this experience. Seeing the kids beautiful faces everyday reminds me that money isn't everything. Each of these children was dealt a difficult hand in life bit they still enjoy every minute. The pictures below will show how money does not impact a child's ability to smile or thhe little things in life.

















No comments:

Post a Comment