Friday, January 13, 2012

On the Road Again in Northern Laos

The roads in Laos are truly an experience I will never forget. I did not get sick so I have decided that I can officially handle any road at this point. The roads are not only bumpy but very curvy going up and down mountains. Many times I had to hold on to something to prevent flying out of my seat. Road 13 crosses the entire country of Laos and is the worst road I have ever been on.
 
I saw harvesting of rice all over Asia. This is the grinding of the stems after the rice it cut and removed. 

The machine in action (just for you Dad)


This was my lunch during our travels. I love black sticky rice. I know it looks like ants but it is good really.


This truss fell off of a truck going up the side of a mountain. We were stuck in traffic to say the least.





 Visit to a Hmong Village which is the population of people that live at the highest elevation in Laos.


View from the Hmong Village

 The reward at the end of a crazy day of driving was one of the most beautiful sites I have ever seen. Nong Keiw is small town on the Ne Kong River. The pictures really don't do it justice, it was amazing. People have often asked me if I am a beach person or a mountain person and after seeing this I know I am a mountain person.

This was the view from our Bungalow





  
We stayed in cute little bungalows on the river. This is one of my favorite places I have stayed. Funny story: the rules in the Guesthouse stated no prostate allow (this gave all of us a little laugh). This was just one of the many times I saw confusion related to the English language. I also learned to play patong while I was here and had great Indian food. Patong is a little lawn bowling but you throw the ball more than roll it. It was a great time. Sorry I don't have better pictures of us playing, it was dark so my pictures suck.

Patong

Check out: www.straytravel.asia for more information on how to hop on your own adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment