Sunday, January 22, 2012

Last stops in Asia

I saw some more amazing mountain scenery on the way from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng. The next stop on my Stray tour was Vang Vieng. Laos in generally a very conservative country but this city has been taken over by rowdy travels. The main draw is tubing down the river with lots of drinking involved. I did this however I was kind of sick so I did not party as much as everyone around me. The stats are crazy related to the number of people the injured or killed while tubing. As we all know open water and drinking does not mix well. One person told me that during high travel season 7 people died a week. I am not sure if this statistic is true but having experienced I can see how people can get themselves into trouble. There are slides and ropes swings all around the river. You basically tube from bar to bar. I have no pictures because they are still on my water camera that I have not gotten developed yet.


The pictures does not do it justice is was beautiful

 
Streets of Vang Vieng. Love the mountains in the background.


My last destination in Laos was Vientiane. This is the capital of Laos. It was not incredibly interesting but it was a pretty city.

Laos Flag

Mekong River

There were many temples to visit in Vientiane

My last leg of my trip was an overnight train to Bangkok. I was dreading this experience but it was much better than I anticipated. It is an experience I recommend everyone try. I was freaked out by my top bunk bed but ended up really liking it. I spent the day in Bangkok before heading to Ghana. I did two days of over night in a row...not fun!

Crossing over the river back into Thailand.

My train bunk

My last fantastic meal in Asia, rocking my "same same but different shirt"



Check out: www.straytravel.asia for more information on how to hop on your own adventure!

1 comment:

  1. We did the over night train too..... We were also dreading it but loved it.

    ReplyDelete