Sunday, January 29, 2012

My little glance at health care in Ghana

Jan. 5 2012
 As a result of generous donation from my parents and their friends I was able to help each of the children at the orphanage get tested for HIV. I am shocked that this had not already happened. It was somewhat of a process explaining the value of this to the orphanage owners as they kept saying they did not think any of the children were sexually active (however we are not sure this is true). Explaining the transition of HIV through birth was a difficulty process. The anticipation of this process caused anxiety for all of the volunteers. We told the kids they were just getting a health check to prevent anxiety on their part and were then prepared to deal with the next steps if a child was found HIV positive. All of the volunteers went into the process with great worry that one or more of the children may be HIV positive. The test was 3 cedi each and was a quick response test which meant we had results within minutes. We were all very thankful that each and every child was HIV negative. Words can’t express the relief and the excitement we had when had when this happened. Thank you so much for this donation the information gained is invaluable.
Obosi Clinic


Quick response HIV test


Such a simple process to get such vital information



A needle prick and a little bit of blood



They were all negative HOORAY!!!

As a result of another volunteer who was volunteering at the local clinic, I had the opportunity to observe and participate in services to children age 0-5.  Children are brought in for both immunizations and to check growth once per month. I was able to participate in both immunizations and weighing the children. I don’t have kids but I am pretty sure the process is a little different than the check ups kids get in North America. I have never been in a room with so many babies. I am so thankful for this opportunity to experience the health care system in Ghana.

So to make the day just a little more eventful as I was preparing to leave for the clinic one of the kids came running to get me telling me Mama Sara needed me. When I got over to the orphanage I saw lots of blood. One was the kids from the village had been hit by a bike one of the kids at the orphanage was riding. The little boy was only 5 years old. It took some time to find his family since children play independently from a young age, but eventually we took the little boy to the clinic. What I found interesting was that every time I went back to check on them Mama Sara was holding the child rather than his mother. This is something I will never understand I guess. The alarming part of the experience was the cost of 28 cedi for the child to get 5 stitches, a tetnus shot and antibiotics. The cost of this does not seem that high but when you compare how much people make per month it is alarming.  For example a teacher at the Bethel Academy private school makes between 50-80 cedi per month. Teachers at the government schools make around 180 cedi but they must have a degree to work there.  The cost also made me think about the families that are farmers and the women sell things at the market or on the street from the top of theirhead.   Thinking about that fact that a parent may have to use half of their month wage or more to pay for medical care is a scary fact. The children in Ghana have medical insurance, but not all needs are covered with this insurance. As a result of this incident Mama Sara was responsible to pay the bill since hern child casued the injury.  I ended up paying for the medical care because at this point Mama Sara was in tears and I could do not nothing but  say yes. I struggled again with the idea of enabling and not allowing the orphanage owner to gain valuable problem solving skills, but I know in this situation me paying was the right thing to do.  I know there will not alway be someone there to help but today I was so I did. 
 

Could he be any cuter?
The cutie getting weighed. They hang the
babies in  sacks  made from old flour bags.
 

Moms and babies everywhere


Me filling a syringe of DPT vaccine

Giving a 6 week old baby a DPT vaccination.
 He then received the oral Polio vaccine.

Mother and daughter here for monthly check up



1 comment:

  1. Wow. I can't even begin to express how proud of you I am! This experience should be in a book :) I think I would have done the same thing and paid too. Wow. I don't have much more to say. Miss talking to you! So much to tell you :)

    ReplyDelete