Sunday, January 15, 2012

Exploring Luang Prabang

Luang Prabang started off with a visit to a beautiful Kuang Si water fall. Every time we stopped we thought we were seeing the best part until we were all the top of the falls and completely amazed. Check out the pictures below.



  


My first night in Luang prabang was my last great night with my tour group since I hopped off in Luang Prabang to stay a little longer. We celebrated Julie from Ireland's Birthday. We all celebrated with Lao Lao. This is a whisky I will never drink again it is 45% alcohol....wow. The bars in Laos have last call at 11:00pm and close around 11:30. However in Luang Prabang they have a bowling ally that is open all night. We obviously continued the celebration.

Lao Lao shot was intense

This is the best drink I have ever had. Fresh pineapple juice and vodka.

Surprising Julie with a cake at Lao Lao Gardens.

Julie I still love your style when it comes to cutting! (hahaha)

Good times with the crew at Utopia

 The three Amigas

Birthday girl bowling

 It was sad to see everyone leave the next morning, meaning I was once again on my own. However by the end of that day I had made two new friends from Amsterdam. It was actually crazy, I met 14 people from the Netherlands all in one day. I think once you meet one they attract each other. Five of them were a family that is travelling for a year in South East Asia with 3 kids under 10. I hope I can be half that cool when I have kids. I had a great time adventuring with  Eva and Vivijan and checking out the super cool night market. A large portion of the main street is closed and there are endless stalls of people selling stuff. It is basically a repeat of 5 shops ( bags, jewelry, scarves, t-shirts, and coffee and tea), but I still loved it. To make is even better the food at the night market is awesome, so much great food for so little money. For 20000 kip I got an endless amount of great food and some amazing chicken on a stick. This about $2.50.
  
This is the only picture I have of me eating with chop sticky, which is ridiculous since I did this almost every day I was in South East Asia.

So many food options for super cheap. Love it!!!

I love eating street food!!!

I had fish on a stick my second night at the night market

Jessica, Vivijan and Eva

 Night market set up. My night pictures of the night market did not work out.


A group of young monks playing by the river. I learned that most Buddhist males spend around a year practice as a monk in a temples as a teenager.

Streets of Luang Prabang a world heritage site. 


These are the best bathroom signs I have seen on my travels. How true are they when you are trying to find a public bathroom.

Mom this is just for you. This woman's name is Dow. She weaved the table runner I gave you for Christmas

 Here are some pictures from the top of Phou Si Hill where there is a temple.  I think If I remember right it is around 300 steps up to the temple. It has a great view of the city of Luang Prabang.








 I met a group of young boys that invited me to go swimming with them. I declined but they loved that I agreed to watch them. It was great fun to see the boys using Styrofoam boxes as flutter boards.


 The best part of my trip in Luang Prabang was my trip to the elephant village. Stay tuned for my next blog. I would have to say that Luang Prabang was one of my favorite cities I visited on my travels in south east Asia. It is hard to explain why other than the vibe of the city, the amount of stuff to do and obviously the beautiful scenery. One of my best days in the city was spent just wondering around, it takes a good city to make this enjoyable.


Check out: www.straytravel.asia for more information on how to hop on your own adventure!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE all the photos Jess! Waterfalls are breath taking!! Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete