Saturday, April 7, 2012

Edinburgh- Past and Present

Mar. 29 2012

I really enjoyed my time in Edinburgh. My day and a half in the city was jam packed but it was good fun. I was lucky to spend one of those day hanging out with Amber who I met on the Haggis tour.

Edinburgh is full  of history and stories and here are a few.

I found the story of Bruke and Hair very interesting so it it goes. Burke and Hare were  serial murders in Edinburgh, from November 1827 to October 31, 1828. The killings in Edinburgh continued  until they were eventually  attributed to Irish immigrants William Burke and William Hare, who sold the corpses of their 17 victims to provide material for dissections. The bodies were purchaser by Dr. Robert Knox and used at the Edinburgh Medical College. As you may have guessed dead bodies were worth a lot at this time. During the same era grave robberies happened often since bodies were needed for medical research. Often families would guard the grave of their family member for three weeks after they were buried to ensure thee body was not stolen. After this time the body would be too decomposed to be used for medical research and be safe. It is said that this is where the saying "I am working the graveyard shift" came from.

Another story that I heard many times through out my time in Scotland was the story of "Garde Loo". In Old Edinburgh you would often hear the shouting of "garde loo ".  If you were not quick enough or if someone was holding a grudge  you could find yourself being showered with the contents of chamber pots hurled from windows. Chamber pots were of course used to collect urine overnight. I don't think the streets of Edinburgh would have been the nicest place to walk around a few hundred years ago. The term "garde loo" comes from the French Garde L'eau which means "watch out for the water". Some say this is where the nickname  "loo" , for the toilet may have come from.

Edinburgh has a past full of ghosts and terror so we headed out on a tour of the old vaults.
The Edinburgh Vaults or South Bridge Vaults are a series of chambers formed in the nineteen arches of the South Bridge. For around 30 years, the vaults were used to house taverns, cobblers and other tradesmen, and as storage space for illicit material. As the conditions in the vaults deteriorated, mainly because of damp and poor air quality, the businesses left and the very poorest of Edinburgh's citizens moved in around 1820. Crime and disease was overwhelming and during the tour we were told that people had a life expectancy of about 18 months after moving into the vaults. We learned about the scary side of things and the spirits that are said to continue to live in the vaults.
In the Vault


It seems like no European city seems to be fulfilled fully for me unless I have been on a New Europe tour. This was my 4th tour with this company in just over 6 weeks. Check out some pictures from the sights of Edinburgh.

St Giles' Cathedral

Edinburgh Castle- Located on Volcanic Rock


Memorial to Bobby the dog that stayed by his owners grave
 for 16  years following his death in the war

Where Harry Potter was Born

Where the first Harry Potter book was written


Edinburgh Castle

View from Edinburgh Castle

Scottish Love!

Recreation of living quarters for servants in Castle

Castle Grounds


Amber and I at Edinburgh Castle


Arthur's Seat

Climbing Aurthur's seat was a real defining moment for me. While sitting on top I realize just how much I have done over the past 6 months. I sat at the top forever just thinking about what I have learned and how life might just be a little bit different when I get home. When I thought about doing this trip alone it was terrifying but in all honestly I think it has been the best decision I have ever made. The confidence I now have in my ability to be independent is kind of overwhelming. I have had so many amazing opportunities as a result of having to push myself outside of my comfort zone. I can't really pin point how I have changed during this trip but I know I have. I think I have been so go go go that I have not had time to reflect and I am so happy I had this awesome opportunity to be in such picturesque location to just think .


Scottish Love!



View on the way up Arthur's Seat

Last part to climb to Arthur's Seat


Awesome View!



Standing on the top of the world






I took the stairs up and decided to take another way down.
Little did I know that I would be doing some seriously repelling to get down.
 This was the path, but I would call in a rock face.

I climbed to the top of that.



Hollybrook Castle- Residence of the Queen when she is in Edinburgh

Scottish must see

Princes Street Garden



No comments:

Post a Comment