Thursday, April 5, 2012

Giant's Causeway- Science or Legend?

Mar. 22 2012

I am the amazing opportunity to visit my friend Julie while I was in Ireland. She lives in county Monaghan in Glaslough. The claim to fame for this village is that Paul McCarty was married at Castle Leslie in the village. I met Julie while on the Stray travel tour in Asia. I had an amazing time with both her and her family. I will never be able to thank them fully for their hospitality. They were so caring and thoughtful.

They live in Southern Ireland but all work in Northern Ireland. This meant that I had tons of questions about living in two different worlds (kind of). They always have to carry Sterling and Euros (just a bit complicated).

Julie and I headed out on a Northern Ireland Adventure.  The highlight was the Giants Causeway and rope bridge.

 The Giant's Causeway is often referred to by locals as the eighth wonder of the world. It was declared Ireland's first World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1986. The area consists of an estimated 40,000 hexagonal basalt columns, which were formed during a volcano eruption 60 million years ago. This is the boring scientific explanation, but there is also a great legend to explain the rock formation. I am leaning more towards the legend! The legend of the Giant’s Causeway  is that is was built by Finn McCool as a walk way to fight the Scottish giant Benandonner. Finn fell asleep before going across to Scotland and he woke up to find the Scottish giant appearing on the horizon. Finn realised Benandonner was much bigger than himself and ran to his wife Oonagh wondering what he should do. Oonagh disguised Finn as a baby and made him curl up in an enormous cradle. Benandonner saw the huge ‘child’ in the cradle and began to wonder what size his father would be. Benandonner returned to Scotland and destroyed the Causeway as he returned home.

Check out some of the amazing views! 









Julie and Jessica




However these rocks got here it pretty incredible


Super cool rope bridge

Sitting on the edge of the world!

Breath taking!

The rocks are arranged so perfectly...?

I think I may have overcome my fear of heights
somewhere  along the way during my adventures





Glad I did not fall in!

No comments:

Post a Comment