Friday, April 6, 2012

Highland Love

Mar. 29 1012

My trek from Ireland to Scotland was way better than expected.The plan was to take a bus, then a ferry, then another but. I was happily surprised that the ferry was awesome. It had everything; a cinema, bar, and even a spa. My favourite part was the WiFi and I took major advantage for it.


Not like any ferry I have ever been on

Sailing the open seas

I had an absolutely incredible time on the Haggis Adventure. Thanks Dawn Robinson for the recommendation.  The scenery was break taking and I got to spend time with a great group of people. I find it amazing how much fun you can have with people you literally just met. We had great tours guides which made it even better. I gained so much knowledge but sadly enough I have a horrible memory and have already  forgotten most of it

The trip started out from Edinburgh and headed into the Highlands. The feeling of being in the highland is like no other, I love the Highlands. It is incredibly beautiful as well as having the sense of being untouched and remote. I am not sure I could live their but I know it would be an amazing place to go to relax and think. I need a vacation home there. We stayed both nights in Fort Augustus. This is located right on Loch Ness. We spent an amazing day on the Isle of Skye. This small island was very rugged, but had small towns throughout. We spent lots of time on the tour hiking which was amazing. The feeling after climbing and seeing the view is incredible, even if I was a little out of breath when I got there. At one pint I could not resist and rolled down part of a major hill. It may not have been the best idea since it was muddy and their was likely sheep droppings along the way (did I say I was also wearing white). Either way you only live once and it was tons of fun!!!


Our Haggis Wheels
I was completely impressed at the guides ability to drive this on crazy roads

The National Wallace Monument in Sterling

Affectionately called a Hairy Coo by the Scottish - aka Highland


Tour Guide Don


Edge of the Highlands on a misty morning

Hike one of many











My first Haggis
I had it again later so it was obviously better than I expect!

Traditional Cullen Skink- Smoked Fish Soup

Haggis

Pub Quiz night with my team

Not sure this is my look.
 However I am holding my new favourite drink Crabbies


Amazing morning view

The reflections on the Lochs were amazing!

Kilt Rock
The other side of the Giant's Causeway on the Scottish side.
Rocking out climbing a crazy hill on the Isle of Skye




AMAZING!


I think I have over come my fear of heights

Watch out for cliffs!

There were Lochs around every corner

Castle on a small island

So Happy in the Highlands!!!



Putting my face in river as a result of a fairy story that it brings youth.







I laugh every time I look at this picture



We climbed to the top of this.
Hiking on the Isle of Skye
Amber and Jessica

Edge of a Cliff



I am a tiny spot in the amazing world all around!!!!

Learning how to wear a traditional kilt



Traditional Highland Clothing


This sword was super close to her head



He taught us a ton about living life in
Highland 100's of years ago.


Now this would be a horrible way to die!!

Highlander Brent

Love!

Amazing Scenery

One of my favourites

Looking out into true wonder!

No trip can be complete to Scotland without a trip to see Loch Ness. We did the Nessy Hacker, no luck encouraged Nessy out but we had a create time making fools of out self dancing on the shore of Loch Ness.

Loch Ness

We did not see Nessie, but we did do the Nessie Haka to encourage her out.
We looked ridiculous but have fun doing it!

The Battle of Culloden was the final confrontation in 1745 of the Jacobite (highlanders) Rising.We went to the battle field of the Battle of Culloden. The conflict was the last pitched battle fought on British soil, occurring near Inverness in the Scottish Highlands.




Clans usually fought together, so since the many bodies could
not be identified they were just buried by Clan

Traditional Highland home years ago

Burne- Crazy how all these rocks got her 100's of years ago with no equipment

I love waterfalls

Great times climbing around


Sitting in the middle of a waterfall...LOVE

The Haggis Adventure Gang

I loved my time in the Highlands and I can't wait to go again. Applications for travel buddies being accepted. Special thanks to Andrew Ridge for the use of some of his amazing photos for my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment